Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The New Year

What I'm Listening to: Speed of Sound (Coldplay) The New Year is a very frightening prospect. Behind all the fireworks, sparkling cider, and light shows is the underlying idea of self-improvement. When you think about it, almost everybody has a New Year's resolution of some sort. And if you ask someone and he or she has none, well, he must be pretty darn perfect. Every year, we compose a list of qualities we secretly know we can never attain. The resolutions last six months or so, tops. And then we fall back into our old ways and pretend like we never even tried. Then the New Year rolls around again and the cycle repeats itself. I wish I could say there's an easy way to avoid this--there's not. It happens to me every year. I'm just glad I serve a God who doesn't require perfection, whether by resolutions or acts of goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment